My body needed to do some serious recovering from the weekend. So Monday I vowed to eat only fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Ok, after I ate my heavy first class breakfast, that is. Lunch consisted of some almonds and dried apricots, and then dinner was this light but filling and delicious broccoli salad. I don’t have too much to say about it, for I would prefer you use your reading time reading about my trip to New Orleans :-). But if that last post had you craving some pretty unhealthy stuff, I also wanted to post this so you had something to balance it out!
Considering I threw this together with what produce I had left in my refrigerator, I was pretty impressed with the outcome. The marinating of the broccoli softens it a little bit, but you still have the crunch from the apple and then the moistness of the tomatoes. The vinaigrette is tangy and delicious and brings it all together.
- 1 crown of broccoli
- 1 chunk of a head of cauliflower
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt pepper
- 1/2 apple
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- Using a mandoline, slice up the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard. While still whisking, slowly add in the olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the broccoli and cauliflower in the vinaigrette and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, julienne the apple and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Mix together the crucifers with the apple and tomatoes.