Even though the Bay Area weather is trying desperately to convince us otherwise… it is, in fact, summer and definitely ice cream season… so it is ice cream that I bring you, as promised. Since it is Friday, and I am feeling a little less eloquent that usual (does she think she is normally eloquent? I would give it high school English capability at best)… I am going to give you my assorted thoughts on ice cream and the like in bulleted form.
– I want to master the basics of ice cream before getting too crazy. I had some charming chocolate, I did the banana business… but I still need to master a solid fruit ice cream (solid as in quality, not solid as opposed to liquid fruit… umm i’m not sure liquid fruit exists...)
– Reckless R has gone and left me for a week. It has been horrible. He is never allowed to leave again. On the bright side, he left 14 bags of cherries in the fridge to rot. Thanks R. I had it in my head all week that I was going to use these cherries to make cherry ice cream. Unfortunately, by the time I got to them… many of them were covered in a lovely white fuzz. I sort of went through and picked out the ones that were still ok. Normally, this isn’t something I do… because even though I can’t see it, I know that the seemingly fine cherries have mold spores on them. Yuck. But I did it, because I was dead set on cherry ice cream, and I tend to do the things that I become fixated on. It was happening.
– I made these amazing cookies earlier this week. I didn’t even get to photograph them because they went that fast. But I will absolutely be making them again. They were amazing. Anyways, I had chocolate chips left over from the cookies, so the cherry ice cream just became cherry chocolate chip. This is a decision I was pleased with.
– I left work at 4 yesterday, and I was eating this ice cream by 5. In that hour, activities included (but are not limited to): cursing R for leaving so many rotten cherries, making this ice cream in its entirety, feeling bad about cursing R, cursing my drier for not drying the pants I wanted to wear last night, accepting it and just wearing wet clothes out last night, and photographing this ice cream.
– With ice cream making being so easy and quick, i’m not sure I will ever go out for ice cream again (blasphemy)! I can have homemade ice cream that is quicker than standing in line at Ici.
– This ice cream was so delicious. It was creamy and fruity and decadent. Cherry chocolate chip, i’ll have some right now.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup pitted and chopped cherries
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a blender and blend until fully blended and it takes on a nice and solid purple color.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacture’s instructions (mine churned for 15 minutes).
- Transfer to freezer for roughly 30 min to an hour to finish firming up.
- Despite the fact that you may live in SF and are currently wearing a sweater.